As the weather get warmer, we strip off the layers of clothes and we show off our body. The question arises, how to get a glowing tan without the sun. If you feel confused with all the self-tan options available read our blog where I explain how false tan works, the benefits of an in salon treatment, how to choose a tan that suits your skin type and how to get the most out of it.
WHAT IS A SELF-TAN?
Self-tan is a product containing an active ingredient called Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) that interacts with your own skin’s chemistry to turn it tan, or bronze. DHA is often derived from plant sources such as sugar beets and sugar cane. DHA reacts chemically with amino acids in the keratin, the major component of the skin surface. Different amino acids react to DHA in different ways, producing different tones of coloration from yellow to brown. It means that every person may have different results from the same tan and there is no perfect tan that suits everybody.
FAKE TAN & UV TAN
- UV Tan, the result of UV exposure,is the skin colouration in the deeper skin layers caused by melanin. It stays longer on the skin but it causes premature skin ageing and can lead to pigmentation or even skin cancer when used in excess.
- Fake Tan, obtained from self-tanning products, is the skin colouration of the superficial layers of the skin. It’s totally safe for the skin but it fades quickly 5-7 days depending on the cell turnover cycle (younger people have faster cell turnover so the tan will fade faster).
SELF-TAN PRODUCTS VS SALON TREATMENT
Self-tan products contain DHA in concentrations ranging from 1% to 15%. Most drugstore products range from 3% to 5%, with professional products ranging from 5% to 15%. It means that by having a treatment in the salon, you will not only have more even tan, but also a deeper colour that lasts longer.
BELLAMIANTA/ WHITE TO BROWN/ OR FAKE BAKE?
- BELLAMIANTA is a luxury rapid tan formulated with nourishing ingredients, free from harmful chemicals. The fast drying formula produces a streak free, beautiful, summer ready tan in just 2-4 hours with no transfer on to clothes. The natural ingredients work with the skins natural melanin to provide a perfectly natural, golden tone every time that becomes water resistant and will last up to 7 days.
- WHITE TO BROWN Tan is a natural tan that will complement every skin tone and skin type, enhancing your natural glow for any occasion, day or night. It develops in 6-8 hours or can be left overnight for darker tone.
- FAKE BAKE is a darker golden tan suitable for all skin types and all budgets. It develops in 6-8 hours or can be left overnight. Lasts up to 5 days.
No matter what tan you choose you should follow our pre and post tan tips to make the most out of tan.
PREPARATION IS A KEY
- Exfoliate. Get rid of dead skin cells to ensure even tan coverage. Pay extra attention to knees, elbows, ankles and hands. Avoid sugar or salt scrubs with oils, as they will create a barrier on your skin and tan just won’t stick. Exfoliate thoroughly 24 hours before tanning.
- Wax 48 hours or shave 24 hours before tanning to allow skin to recover and pores to close.
- DO NOT moisturise your skin on day of tanning. Tan sticks better to dry skin. Don’t use deodorant or perfume on the day.
MAINTAIN YOUR TAN
- Avoid exercise for up to 6 hrs. Wash off the guide colour in 2-4 hrs for a natural medium tan. However if you want a deeper tan wash it off the next morning or after 4-6 hrs.
- Moisturise your tan every day to lock in hydration and help your tan to fade naturally. Use a lightweight lotion instead of heavy body butter.
- Exfoliate 4-5 days after application, this will remove any dead skin cells and help the tan fade off evenly. Oil based body washes will also help tan to wear of evenly.
- When showering or bathing pat skin dry with your towel, rigorous rubbing will scrub off the tan.
- For a sculpting effect apply extra tan or bronzer under collarbones, underneath the bicep indent and in between the thighs. Then highlight your tan with an illuminator, applying lashings to your shoulders, collarbones, cheekbones and the front of your legs to create sheen and definition.
- Important! False tan doesn’t provide any protection to UV. The skin is even more sensitive than usual to sunlight up to 24 hours after tan application so make sure you stay away from the sun for this time.
To sum up, false tan is a great and healthy option for people who likes a bronze, healthy looking skin. There is some prep and maintenance involved and tan lasts up to 7 days but it is worth giving it a try, especially if you have a special occasion or holidays coming up.
What is your opinion on false tan? I would love to hear from you.
Take care, Ella x
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: slender.healthbeauty
- Instagram: slenderhealthbeauty